Sport has a power to inspire and change the world. Sport events in particular. As the world's largest sporting event, Olympic and Paralympic Games Tokyo 2020 will create positive long-lasting impact not only in the field of sport, but also on society, local community and environment.
This year, for the first time, five new sports will be introduced – baseball, skateboarding, surfing, sport climbing and karate will join official programme and classic sports.
Also, Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 will have huge implications in sustainability initiatives that will be passed on to the future. Some of them are listed below:
- Olympic village will be constructed using timber from sustainable sources,
- the winning medals will be made from recycled metal from old phones donated by Japanese people,
- Japanese athletes will wear recycled clothes,
- podiums will be entirely made from recycled plastic,
- energy will be 100% renewable,
- rainwater usage will reduce water wastage, etc.
To find out more, visit olympics.com